||The Art of the Garden:
"Treasure Hunt" Questions
- Find a plant that has motion.
- Find the plants with black leaves. How do they go with what is near them?
- Find an example of related color harmony.
- Find an example of complementary color harmony.
- What plant is the smallest (not counting seedlings)? What plant do you find gets in the way the worst?
- What plant do you find that seems to be doing least well?
- How many pieces of garden sculpture can you find?
- Find two examples of (almost) formal balance.
- What elements of this garden have humor?
- Find an example of rhythm.
- Identify a theme or other unifying factor of a bed.
- What draws your attention?
- What plants do you like & dislike (and what one plant is your favorite)? What parts of the garden work and which ones don't hang together?
- What would you change & why? Of the things you'd change, what bothers you the worst; what would you start with?
- Find a spot that needs something, and either
- propose a plant for it, and say why
- or describe the characteristics of a hypothetical plant you think would go well there.